A pictorial diary of my walks around the parks and wild areas of Leicestershire, and occasionally farther afield.

If you're new to my blog, you might like to have a look at the pictures in the older post as well (click on button at the bottom of the page).

I am also a writer, using the pen-name John Gwynant, and I'll occasionally announce my latest book release on the blog.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Butterflies at Sheepwash Lane 15 July 2014

For the first time since I got the mobility scooter, we took it to Sheepwash Lane. We couldn't go before they had workmen and it became very muddy, then we had to wait for everything to settle down.

There's not much in the way of birds down there, although there is a Kingfisher about and one day I might get a photo of it. Instead there are more butterflies than I have seen all year.

After only a few minutes the first one presented itself, a Skipper on a thistle head.

1/320 @ f7.1, iso 400, 380mm
Not very far away was this Ringlet, but with a bit of a breeze most weren't happy to spread their wings.
1/500 @ f7.1, iso 400, 400mm
The skipper was still crawling around the thistle head so I took a pic of his back.
1/500 @ f7.1, iso 400, 400mm
and his front ...
1/400 @ f7.1, iso 400, 400mm
I always like to see Peacock butterflies, but again it would have been better if he'd spread his wings.
1/500 @ f8, iso 400, 400mm
In a more sheltered area the Tortoiseshell was happy to show off its colours.
1/500 @ f8, iso 400, 400mm
1/500 @ f8, iso 400, 400mm

All taken on a Canon EOS7d, fitted with EF 100 - 400mm L series lens

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos John. Lovely. Thank you. Bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill
      Sorry for the delay in replying, I don't get notified when there are comments so I only find out by chance.

      Delete